NEW DELHI: Pakistan army has not responded to the Indian Army‘s offer to take back the bodies of those killed in the foiled BAT (Border Action Team) operation in the Keran sector along the Line of Control in Kashmir, even as intermittent cross-border firing duels continued on Sunday.
Five to seven terrorists or Special Services Group (SSG) commandos from the Pakistan army were killed in the unsuccessful operation that began on the night of July 31, with the Indian Army stating that four bodies were spotted in the area after the fog cleared on Saturday. “Through the hotline on Saturday night, we offered the Pakistan army the opportunity to retrieve the bodies, under the cover of a white flag, for the last rites. But they have not responded yet,” a senior officer said.
Pakistan issued a statement to deny the Indian claim of bodies lying in the open as “mere propaganda” and said India was “trying to divert attention of the world from the situation in Kashmir”. Indian officers said the Pakistan army had upped the ante along the LoC over the last 10 days. “Pakistan army has been trying to push in infiltrators from Jaish-e-Muhammed and other terror outfits across the LoC, taking advantage of the prevailing foggy conditions with covering fire from their forward posts,” an officer said.
BAT operations are usually the handiwork of SSG commandos, in conjunction with terrorists, trained for covert attacks on forward Indian posts across the LoC. “The BAT operation was intended to target our forward posts there. Pakistan army tried similar BAT operations in other sectors like Gurez, Tangdhar and Macchill over the last week but they were not launched due to early detection by us,” another officer said.