!1 New UpdateClick here for latest updates
Sree Chitra Tirunal medical institute Kerala develops swabs for COVID-19 testing
- Sree Chitra Tirunal Institute for Medical Sciences and Technology (SCTIMST) has developed two types of nasal and oral swabs and viral transport medium for COVID-19 testing, the institute said in a statement on Sunday.
- Chitra Viral Transport Medium is specifically designed to retain the virus in its active form during its transportation from the collection point to the laboratory. Currently, kits containing 50 numbers of (3ml/vial) viral transport medium with 50 swabs cost is upwards of Rs 12000, the statement said.
Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare Dr. Harsh Vardhan visits Lady Hardinge hospital
Workers and poor wage labourers have been allowed to travel in KSRTC buses free of charge from the district centres and Bengaluru to their hometowns in Karnataka for 3 days from today. The government will bear the cost
– Karnataka Chief Minister’s Office
UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson says doctors had plan in case he died of Covid-19
- Doctors treating Boris Johnson for coronavirus prepared to announce his death after he was taken to intensive care, the British prime minister said on Sunday, in his first detailed comments about his illness.
- “It was a tough old moment, I won’t deny it,” he was quoted as saying by the Sun on Sunday newspaper in an interview. “They had a strategy to deal with a ‘death of Stalin’-type scenario.
Former US president Bush calls on Americans to be empathetic, compassionate during pandemic
- Former US president George W Bush has called on the Americans to keep the virtues of empathy, compassion, and kindness intact amid the coronavirus pandemic, saying that these are the powerful tools that would help combat the deadly disease.
- In the nearly 3-minute video message tweeted on Saturday, Bush encouraged people to be their best during the pandemic.
27 new COVID-19 cases in Nashik; district tally rises to 360
- The number of coronavirus cases rose to 360 in Maharashtra’s Nashik district after 27 more people tested positive for the disease, the district administration said on Sunday.
- With this, 324 COVID-19 cases have so far been reported from Malegaon town, 16 from Nashik city, and 17 from other parts of the district.
Maryland seeks probe of company that failed to deliver masks
- Maryland officials are seeking an investigation into a politically connected company that contracted to provide the state with USD 12.5 million worth of personal protective equipment that never arrived.
- The Wall Street Journal reported that the state signed a deal on April 1 with Blue Flame Medical LLC for 1.5 million N95 masks and 110 ventilators. But the equipment never showed up and Maryland canceled the contract.
Singapore looks to ramp up factory activities as virus curbs ease
- Singapore will progressively ramp up its manufacturing activities, its minister of trade and industry said on Sunday, with the city-state looking to restart its economy as coronavirus curbs start to ease over the next few weeks.
- Sectors that are intertwined with the global supply chain such as biopharmaceutical and petrochemicals as well precision manufacturing will be among priority sectors, Chan Chun Sing told reporters.
The safety trial of ‘Mw vaccine’ drug has been completed. But its actual trial will be conducted on 40 patients in PGI Chandigarh, AIIMS-Delhi and AIIMS Bhopal
– Dr Jagat Ram, Director PGIMER, Chandigarh
Mexico posts 1,349 new coronavirus cases and 2,061 total deaths
Mexico’s health ministry reported 1,349 new known coronavirus cases and 89 more deaths on Saturday, bringing the country’s total to 22,088 cases and 2,061 deaths.
Coronavirus sweeping through massive US prison population
- A massive wave of coronavirus infections is blasting through the world’s largest prison population in the United States even as officials begin opening up their economies, saying the disease has plateaued.
- One prison in Marion, Ohio has become the most intensely infected institution across the country, with more than 80 percent of its nearly 2,500 inmates, and 175 staff on top of that, testing positive for COVID-19.
Indian Air Force aircraft SU-30 flypast Marine Drive to express gratitude towards medical professionals and all frontline workers
18 new positive cases reported in Chuchot Yokma
– Rigzin Samphel, Commissioner/Secretary, Health and Medical Education, Union Territory of Ladakh
Online car sales may gain traction post COVID-19, auto retail needs to become virtual: EY
- Post the COVID-19 crisis, online car sales are likely to gain traction as customers would lean further towards contactless modes of purchasing, according to a report by consultancy firm EY.
- With the fear of infection and lack of hygiene likely to move people’s preference back to personal mobility, which in turn is likely to reverse the trend of declining car sales, EY said automotive retail needs to become virtual, lean and flexible to align to the sudden accelerated change in consumer behaviour.
FPIs remain in selloff mode, pull out Rs 15,403 cr in April
- Continuing their selling spree for the second straight month, foreign portfolio investors (FPIs) withdrew a net Rs 15,403 crore from the Indian capital markets in April amid the coronavirus crisis.
- As per the depositories data, FPIs pulled out a net sum of Rs 6,884 crore from equities and a net Rs 8,519 crore from the debt segment between April 1-30.
Thailand reports three new coronavirus cases, as some restrictions ease
- Thailand reported three new coronavirus cases and no new deaths on Sunday, as the country started lifting restrictions on some businesses and aspects of life.
- The new infections marked the lowest number since early March, just before the country started reporting clusters, and tolls started rising.
Indian Air Force aircraft flypast over Rajpath to express gratitude towards medical professionals and all frontline workers
As warmer weather beckons, NYPD to enforce social distancing
- As warmer weather tempted New Yorkers to come out of quarantine, police dispatched 1,000 officers this weekend to enforce social distancing and a ban on congregating in public spaces.
- Officers set out on foot, bicycles, and cars to break up crowds and remind those enjoying the weather of public health restrictions requiring they keep 6 feet away from others.
France extends virus emergency until July 24
- The French government said on Saturday it will extend a health emergency imposed to fight the new coronavirus by two months, allowing it to keep stringent anti-virus measures in place even after a partial lifting of the country’s lockdown.
- As part of the planned measures anybody entering France, foreign or French, will have to remain confined for two weeks, Health Minister Olivier Veran told a news conference.
Two COVID-19 patients of Mizoram in Kolkata to get all help from Bengal govt
- The West Bengal government has assured all possible help to the two individuals from Mizoram who recently tested positive for COVID-19 in Kolkata, state health minister R Lalthangliana said.
- He also said that the Minister of State for Health, Chandrima Bhattacharya, has promised to provide assistance to people from Mizoram stranded in the eastern state.
Germany’s confirmed coronavirus cases rise by 793 to 162,496
- The number of confirmed coronavirus cases in Germany increased by 793 to 162,496, data from the Robert Koch Institute (RKI) for infectious diseases showed on Sunday.
- The reported death toll rose by 74 to 6,649, the tally showed.
Indian Army band performs outside Government Hospital, Panchkula to express gratitude towards medical professionals
2644 new COVID19 positive cases, 83 deaths in the last 24 hours: Ministry of Health and Family Welfar
Role of Tablighi Jamaat was most condemnable: Adityanath
- Holding the Tablighi Jamaat responsible for the spread of COVID-19, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath on Saturday said that being infected with a virus is not a crime but to hide it is definitely a crime.
Man arrested trying to quarantine on private Disney island
- Florida deputies arrested a man who had been living out his quarantine on a shuttered Disney World island, telling authorities it felt like a “tropical paradise.”
- Orange County Sheriff’s deputies found Richard McGuire on Disney’s Discovery Island on Thursday.
- He said he’d been there since Monday or Tuesday and had planned to camp there for a week, according to an arrest report.
People should unite to give coordinated response to COVID-19: Dalai Lama
- As the world grapples with coronavirus, the Dalai Lama on Sunday said people should come together to give a “coordinated, global response” to challenges posed by the crisis.
- The Tibetan spiritual leader also noted that the economic disruption caused by the spread of the virus is posing a major challenge to governments and is undermining the ability of people to make a living.
Rajasthan reports 31 new cases; state tally hits 2,803
31 new COVID19 positive cases have been reported in Rajasthan till 9 am today. Total positive cases in the state stand at 2803: Health Department, Rajasthan
China reports 14 new coronavirus cases
- China has reported 14 new COVID-19 cases, including 12 asymptomatic ones, taking the number infections in the country to 82,877 while over 4,630 people have succumbed to the deadly virus, health officials said on Sunday.
- China’s National Health Commission (NHC) said the two new confirmed cases were reported on Saturday which included one imported and another locally transmitted.
- The death toll remained 4,633 as no fatalities due to the coronavirus were reported on Saturday while the total number cases increased to 82,877 with 531 still undergoing treatment, it said.
India case count nears 40,000; death toll hits 1,300
- Active cases: 28046
- Cured / Discharged: 10632
- Deaths: 1301
- Migrated: 1
Details of the aerial salute to the Covid warriors
#IndiaSalutesCoronaWarriors Details of the Aerial Salute to the #CovidWarriors . #IndiaFightsCorona #Covid_19… https://t.co/Z57zKi0q3J
— Indian Air Force (@IAF_MCC) 1588440370000
IAF flypast over Delhi to salute Covid warriors delayed due to weather conditions, now expected around 11 am
7 persons, including a few children and women found positive for Covid-19 in Sonepat, Haryana
China has just 2 new cases
Srinagar: IAF’s flypast over Dal Lake to pay tribute to medical professionals
Srinagar: Indian Air Force's flypast over Dal Lake to pay tribute to medical professionals and all other frontline… https://t.co/RsQjWi8UJE
— ANI (@ANI) 1588474338000
500 students stranded in Kota reach Delhi in 40 buses
Military jets fly over US cities to salute frontline workers
Two more test positive for Covid-19 in Odisha; state tally rises to 159
Only those authorised by states allowed in special trains during lockdown: Railways
Covid-19: At 3.3%, India’s fatality rate almost as low as S Korea’s
Tripura govt offices to function normally from May 4
Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) has categorised 6 districts of Tripura as green zones & 2 districts as orange zones.… https://t.co/GJZMw8E11s
— ANI (@ANI) 1588450240000
The first special train carrying stranded UP migrant workers reached Lucknow from Maharashtra’s Nashik via Jhansi and Kanpur
Special flight repatriates UK nationals from Amritsar
Around 270 United Kingdom (UK) nationals left for their country in a special Qatar Airways flight from Sri Guru Ram… https://t.co/CNP4kN6iVs
— ANI Digital (@ani_digital) 1588461379000
Indian Armed forces will honour COVID-19 warriors today
UK PM says doctors had plan in case he died of COVID-19
US coronavirus deaths climb by 1,435 in 24 hours: Johns Hopkins
People stranded in green, red zones outside Assam urged to defer return
People queue outside wholesale market in Ghazipur
Delhi: People queue outside the wholesale fruit and vegetable market in Ghazipur amid #CoronaLockdown. https://t.co/ckJ9d2J73q
— ANI (@ANI) 1588466185000
COVID-19: Spain makes masks compulsory on public transport
Coronavirus cases in Pakistan rise to 18806, death toll stands at 432