NEW DELHI: A Pakistani minister on Wednesday admitted that Islamabad was behind last year’s Pulwama terror strike on CRPF jawans, describing the dastardly attack as a “great success” of the Imran Khan leadership.
“Humne Hindustan ko ghus ke maara (We hit India in their home). Our success in Pulwama is a success of the people under the leadership of Imran Khan. You and us are all part of that success,” Fawad Chaudhury, a minister in the Imran Khan cabinet, said in the National Assembly.
#WATCH: Pakistan’s Federal Minister Fawad Choudhry, in the National Assembly, says Pulwama was a great achievement… https://t.co/gjTJWixxFG
— ANI (@ANI) 1603971643000
This is the first time that the country’s government has openly admitted to its role in last year’s attack.
Chaudhury’s boastful claims came after Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) leader Sardar Ayaz Sadiq recounted the tension within the Pakistan government in February last year while speaking to Dunya News during a programme on Wednesday.
Sadiq had revealed that army chief General Qamar Javed Bajwa was perspiring and his “legs were shaking” as foreign minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi said that if Indian Air Force Wing Commander Abhinandan Varthaman was not released, India would attack Pakistan “at 9pm”.
The attack, in which 40 CRPF jawans were killed, was claimed by Pakistan-based terror group Jaish-e-Muhammed.
The National Investigation Agency (NIA) had recently filed a chargesheet in the terror attack case which had references to the role of Pakistani state actors including ISI.
Pakistan, which has repeatedly denied its involvement in the attacks, had rejected the chargesheet and called it a “mischievous attempt” to implicate Islamabad for the attack.
(With inputs from agencies)