NEW DELHI: A day after Prime Minister Narendra Modi said that the security forces had busted a plot to disrupt the district council elections in Jammu & Kashmir, the government warned Islamabad on Saturday against using terrorists to launch attacks in India and also said it will take all necessary action against terrorism to safeguard national security.
Unusually, the PM tweeted on the Nagrota encounter, holding Pakistan-based Jaish-e-Muhammed responsible. It was a rare occasion that Modi commented on a security operation. India summoned Pakistan’s charge d’affaires and conveyed “strong concern” over the attempted terror attack, saying it was only prevented by the alertness of Indian forces.
Government sources said the Nagrota operation was a significant success for security forces, keeping in mind the recovery of a large number of arms and RDX. It was intended to cause a major terror incident and pointed to Pakistan’s efforts to disrupt peace in the Union territory in the wake of several steps taken by the Centre following the nullification of Article 370.
India reiterated its long-standing demand that Pakistan fulfil its international obligations and bilateral commitments to not let any territory under its control to be used for terrorism against India in any manner.
The government of India is firmly and resolutely committed to take all necessary measures to safeguard its national security in the fight against terrorism,” it said. “The government of India expressed its serious concerns at continued terror attacks by JeM against India,” said the statement.
The government recalled that JeM had been part of several attacks in India in the past, including the one in Pulwama in 2019 which led to the IAF strike on the jihadi training facility at Balakot. “The huge cache of arms, ammunition and explosive material indicate planning for a major attack to destabilise peace and security… in particular to derail the District Development Council elections,” it said.